Saturday, July 4, 2009

Epilogue

He landed softly on the open window ledge. He grinned feverishly. "Stalker, eh?" Mickey said to Michael. The two switched their controls over their body. Michael ignored the lure.

"She's just as beautiful as ever," he whispered. He heard Mickey snickering. Michael frowned. "You're absolutely right though, Mickey. I certainly have a problem with enmeshment." Michael stood up on the window ledge. He stared down at Taylor. She was asleep; her arm hung off the side of the bed. She was precariously close to rolling off. Michael slipped into the room and forced his being to be tangible for a few moments. He repositioned her into a more comfortable, safer spot on the bed. Michael smiled weakly to himself.

"You're really the only thing getting me through the day," Michael whispered. He shut his eyes. "It's pathetic, isn't it?"

"Damn straight!"

Michael ignored him. "How did we end up this way? I thought I had it all under control." Michael turned away from her, staring out of the window. He let the sunlight wash over him. He smiled warmly. "I'm not afraid anymore. I'm not gonna let this defeat me, Taylor. No - not with you inspiring me every step of the way." Michael faced her again.

He placed his hand on her head. His voice became hoarse. "Even if you have forgotten me - even if you have lost the ability to see me - even if you hate me; I'll always fight for you. I'm sad. I'm never happy, actually. In fact, I'm angry." He withdrew his hand, flexing it into a fist. He shut his eyes in frustration.

"I could have had a normal life with you. I could have been there for you every day, every single second. No; I wanted to be there for you." He looked to her with teary eyes. "I wish I was normal after the meadow. Oh, freakin' rapture; the meadow! It was just a little rain, Tay. It was just a little rain. If a little water drove you away from me in the blink of an eye..." Michael turned away from her.

He climbed back onto the window ledge. He glanced at Taylor one last time, then faced the street below. "Then maybe we were never meant to be." He chuckled reluctantly. "That's for the best. Just don't ever forget what I stressed out to you before." Michael's self control broke away. Tears started to stream down his cheeks. "I'll love you until the end, and-"

"Cut the crap short, emo-kid! We got shit goin' down right now!" Mickey forced Michael's head to swivel. He stared out onto the city - a purple mist had begun to form. It was thinner in density, but he could still see Markers pouring out of it.

Michael cast a final glance at Taylor. He spread his wings wide and pushed off of the window ledge to propel himself forward. The current helped him, and he flew along with it. His helmet materialized bit by bit onto his head. His shoulder plates appeared in the same manner, along with his shin guards. His scarred shield came flying out of nowhere at him, then attached itself to his arm. His mace did the same, and he caught it deftly.

"I love happy endings," Mickey said with his obnoxious laughter.

"It's not the end yet!" Michael shouted. He flew even faster than before, pushed forward by the only thing keeping him sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment