Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chapter 6: Heart & Soul

Michael's self control gave way. Tears escaped his eyelids, rolling across his face and tumbling down to the ground. He sniveled uncontrollably. Michael was at his weakest point.

"Damnit," he said softly. "Damnit!" he shouted. "He... that bastard was right. I can't believe he was right about me." Michael rolled over onto his backside. He lay his arm across his forehead. Realization slapped him in the face.

Michael sat up quickly, opening his eyes in an explosion of tears. "Macie? Macie, are you alright?" He crawled over to her. He cradled her in his arms and stood slowly. Michael shut his eyes and bit his lip. "I have to change. I have to change if I'm to save everyone." The burden weighing him down caught up to him at this moment. He felt heavy and slow as he walked away from the crater in the ground to rest under a nearby tree.

Michael set Macie down gently at the base of the tree. He wiped dirt and dust away from her small face. She stirred slightly; moreover, she struggled to open her eyes. Michael stared at her eyes, fascinated at their color. The iris was white, but had black lines outlining it. The pupil was white as well and mimicked the iris. Michael gazed longingly as Macie came to. Her eyes were wide and round; she reached up and brushed a strand of light brown hair from her forehead. Macie sat up slowly, pressing a hand to her forehead. Michael remained silent.

"Michael...?" she asked tentatively. "What's wrong?"

Michael broke free from his reverie. "Sorry, Macie. Are you alright?"

Macie nodded. She blushed slightly. "My eyes aren't like yours. I'm not perfectly synced with my Marker like you. Missy is within me until we switch. Then I'm within her." Macie looked up at him.
"I'm sorry."

"About what?"

"About your eyes, about your Marker, and about her..." Macie's eyes dropped to the ground again.

Michael smiled reassuringly. "If you kept apologizing for every one of my problems, we'd never get anywhere. From now on, no more saying 'sorry' for any reason - okay?" Michael's voice was strong. His inner turmoil was either gone or well hidden.

Macie tried to hide a smile. "Okay," she said warmly. "Michael... are we gonna be together for awhile?"

"Of course. Why would you think otherwise? You're my buddy, and I'm yours."

Macie blushed again. "Okay." She rested against the tree. Michael scooted close to her and did the same. Macie flinched at his touch. Slowly, she regained confidence and eased into a more comfortable position. They sat silently for awhile.

"Michael?" Macie looked up at him.

"Yeah?"

Macie shifted uneasily. "What does love feel like?" Her voice was a bit restrained. Michael pulled at his collar.

"Uhm, love is a difficult topic. I can't truly say what it is. But to me, love is when I feel warm in the center of my heart around the person I love. Does that help at all? I'm a bit embarrassed to talk about this." Michael coughed in the awkward silence that followed.

Macie smiled. "Michael?"

"Yeah?"

Macie trailed into silence. "Never mind. I just wanted to say that... I think I love you." She faced him with wide eyes.
"Forgive me, Michael, I didn't mean to just shout that out to you-"

Michael dropped his hand onto her head. He ruffled her hair up slightly. "You're too young to love, Macie. I'm sure you don't mean it anyway."

Macie turned away. "You're a hypocrite," she mumbled as she groomed her hair with her hands. She moved her wings slightly. They brushed against Michael's wings and for a split second, there was peace in the entire park.

"Why are we waiting here, Michael?" Macie asked. She stared around the park. It was empty. She saw a chipmunk a few feet away from her. The creature hopped on its tiny feet and tiny paws toward her. It stared with beady, black eyes full of emptiness and paused. The chipmunk stood alert but trembled slightly. Macie reached out with her hand - it quickly scurried away.

"Michael?" she repeated. Macie stared after the chipmunk. "Why do they always run? I just want to help them. Michael?" She turned to him.

Michael was fast asleep. His wings were hanging lazily and then drooped. One of them fell over Macie. She smiled warmly and crept closer to him. She lifted his wing and wrapped it around herself. Macie laid her head against Michael.

"Who would imagine two people like us - one of Heart, one of Soul - bonding like this? I don't care if you love me back, Michael. We're connected in a unique way!"
her voice was soft but enthusiastic. Her eyes drooped with weariness. "We're different. There's no one else like us. You saved me, too. No one ever helped me." her voice was hoarse and emotional. "You didn't even know who I was. You saw me for a second and knew 'I need to save her.' Are you the knight fit for me? Are you the prince in my dream? Who are you, Michael - and why are you so... kind?"

Macie snuggled up to him, closing her eyes gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment