Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chapter 5: Schoolwork (Pt.3)

"Anyone seen Greg?" Tracy asked. He ran down the streets and corridors of the City of Guardians, shouting out his question. "Anyone seen Greg?"

"No, sorry!" "Uh, I haven't seen him." "The blind guy? Did he lose his seeing dog?" "I think he's still in the city!" were the answers. Tracy stopped his search and sat down against a building, resting. He breathed heavily and wiped a tear from his eye.

"Greggie - we can't lose you too! We need you here. Without Michael, everyone's feeling hopeless. I hope those traitorous Soul Angels haven't talked you into their group, Greggie..."

He heard footsteps. Tracy looked up at the new form and waved a greeting. "I didn't expect to find you here, Surno. Have you seen Greg, by chance?"

Surno handed him a sheet of paper. Tracy grabbed it and read it. He re-read it several times to make sure he had processed it right the first time. He stared up at Surno with pleading eyes. "Are you serious? Shouldn't I be crafting new clothing, armor, or weapons for our disposal instead of... this?"

Surno stood defiant before him. He nodded slowly. "Go."

Tracy hung his head. "Can you give me an hour before I leave, please? To prepare my armor, and weapon, and... I just need an hour." He wiped a tear from his eye. Surno knelt down before him, staring deep into his eyes. Tracy returned the gaze and blushed, hesitant to react.

Surno struck him with the back of his hand across the face. "Go." Surno stood up and left without another word.

Tracy sniffled as he got to his feet. "How can he not even give a single thought about my feelings? He may be Peter's best friend, but I can't stay loyal under a guy like that."

Tracy stretched out his hands. In a flourish of silver around both hands, a pair of wooden tonfas appeared. His clothes transformed into a suit of leather armor that conformed around his body. A green cape hung low behind him. He continued his walk with a dark expression.

"Surno... I'll carry out these orders for you. I'm not the one for the job - I'm not a heartless bastard like you. I guess you're too busy crying over Peter to care about the rest of us, though." He arrived at the entrance.

A Heart Angel leaned against it. "The natural entrance isn't open yet. Not for another twelve hours, anyway. Do you need a portal out of here?" he asked.

Tracy nodded. "I probably won't be back for twelve hours. When is the next one?"

The guard thought over it for a moment. "Maybe another three days. If not, then a week at best." He snapped his fingers and a twisting, blue and indigo vortex opened next to him. Tracy stepped through it, waving him goodbye. He muttered his thanks under his breath.

Space warped around him. Tracy kept walking through the passageway, ignoring the shifting colors around him. He held the handles of his tonfas tighter as he broke through and found himself floating above the city.

"I'm sorry, Greg," he said softly. "I can't believe I have to kill you now."

He buried his hands into his pockets and headed for the entrance.
---

Michael drifted between consciousness. A voice kept calling out to him. "It's okay, Michael. Come back, please. I know you didn't mean to attack her. It's okay, Michael." The voice was familiar.

Taylor? he thought. Is that you?

"Come back, please. I don't want to be alone again. Michael..."

Michael awoke slowly. Macie leaning over him was the first sight he saw. He reached up to her with a weak hand. "Macie? What happened to me?" he asked.

Macie took a hold of his hand and set it down gently. "Mickey took over forcefully and tried to hurt Lucas. He wanted Taylor for himself." Macie frowned at him. "Why are you blind to the most obvious of all things, Michael?"

Michael groaned. He didn't pay any attention to her. "I have to apologize to her. She can't see me, though, and if I get too close - Mickey might take control again. What should I do?" he asked to no one in particular. Macie shut her eyes. She pouted.

"Michael? Please don't worry about it. Seeing you so sad is making me sad." She pressed her hand against his forehead. Michael seemed to notice her again. His face took on a stern expression.

"Something's coming, Macie." He stood up slowly. Macie did the same and clung to him defensively. "You should stay away from me - you might get hurt."

Macie held him tighter. "I'm stronger than you and you know it, Michael. I know how to control Missy and work with her. With her powers and my own combined, we can overpower anyone. I can help you." She tugged on his shirt and looked up to him with pleading eyes. "I want to help you. If you make me go away, I might... I might, I don't know. I don't know what I'd do."

Michael gave in. "Alright. If I can't handle it, then feel free to help out." He placed his hand on her head. Macie blushed and turned away, embarrassed. Michael balled his hand into a fist and stepped away from Macie. Macie took an aggressive stance as well, holding her hands up near her face. Michael's sweater and Macie's white blouse shook at the currents of the wind.

They stood stock still. Michael suddenly flinched, and he jumped to the side. Macie noticed it a split second later. She stepped back. Something crashed into the spot they had just been in. Dust flung up into the air. Michael rushed into the cloud of dust, lunging out with a fist. He struck something - but it didn't move. A hand wrapped around his wrist.

"Is that the extent of your strength?"

The dust settled. A Marker with spiky hair stood in the center of the crater. He held Michael's hand with ease. Michael struggled to break free. "My name is Eight," the Marker said. "I am but one of my nine brothers created under Lord Daniel. I have been sent to test your strength, Michael."

Eight tightened his grasp. Michael's wrist snapped in half, and his hand fell to the ground. He screamed out in pain. Macie sprang forward, spearing Eight with her tiny body. They were sent flying across the park by her blow. Michael knelt down on the ground in anguish.

"Giving up already, Michael?" Mickey said. "You're not a pathetic angel anymore - you know that, right? You've got my power with ya. Now stop screwin' around and kick some ass!" Michael's hand regenerated. The pain left him.


He stood up proudly. A tiny speck came hurtling towards him. It grew and soon, it turned out to be Macie. Her eyes were closed and her body was limp. Michael caught her deftly. He grunted at the force of her impact. Michael set her down on the ground gently.

Eight walked towards him. He had a fluorescent yellow liquid pouring out from a cut under his eye. His chest was scarred up also. "She gave me some trouble, I'll admit. Her Marker, though, was weak - and so was she. Are you holding back, Michael? Do you fear for the safety of her, or yourself? Be honest."

Michael clenched his fists. "I'm worried that she'll be hurt!" he exclaimed.

Eight laughed heartily. "Really? I can see you trembling. Are you afraid that you'll be too weak to save her? Thinking that you're too weak, hmm?" Eight crossed his arms.

"I want her to be safe. No matter what it takes, I'll keep her safe." His fists were shaking. He was closing them so tight that he drew blood from his palm with his nails, cutting through his gloves.

Eight's eyes widened. "You're not talking about this little girl, are you? Haha. I never expected that you would be so selfish, Michael. Always thinking about one girl, hmm? Never realizing the feelings of others and consoling them about it? I should kill you right here as you stand because of that." Eight ran a hand through his hair. "Lord Daniel wouldn't like that. You're not worth the fight, though - I'll be leaving you now. Even if I am your enemy, you should heeds my words."

Eight phased out of existence. He appeared a second later beside Michael. Eight picked him up by the neck with one hand. Michael struggled to break free.

"Do not fool me with fake justice. You think you're doing good by vowing to protect one person? Such bastardization disgusts me." Eight tightened his grasp. "You're selfish! You fight for a single person. I can see that you want her to be impressed - why? So that she can love you. You're not a hero. You're just selfish. I am amazed at how idiotic angels can be for believing that you're some pre-destined hero."

"Learn to see others around you, Michael. Don't be blinded by the beauty of one." Eight released Michael, dropping him to the ground. He curled up in agony, coughing uncontrollably.
"We will meet again. If you haven't learned that by the time we see each other, then you deserve to die." Eight faded from existence.

Michael shut his eyes in frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment