Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chapter 1: Renovations (Pt.3)


Michael dropped down to the ground beneath the doorway leading to the secret city. Its faint outline shimmered in the pale moonlight. He reached into his pocket and pulled out the rose granted unto him by Surno.

"Is that from your secret admirer?" A bleary voice said.

Michael spun around, pivoting on his heel. He locked his fists tight and crouched slightly. I know that voice! he thought to himself. "So Greg was right," he muttered under his breath.

A woman in a slim, black dress stepped out from behind the corner of a building. She wore onyx, six-inch heels and had her hair in a bun with strands loose. She smiled cynically. "Do you miss me, Michael?" Lily said coyly.

Michael eased up - just a little. "I didn't miss you, you bitch," he spat.

"Still a little touchy are we?" She walked with a slithering gait to Michael. She ran her hand down the side of his face. "Look, I'm sorry I got you to kill yourself, but it was either that or let Surno-" Michael stepped forward and hugged her tight.

"Thanks," he muttered. "Thank you for... everything," he whispered.

Lily returned the gesture. "You're pretty sadistic if you're thanking me for your death." Michael lifted his head to look at her.

"I have a semblance of a life now; I have a purpose! I have a way to do good instead of burdening others with my emotionless facade. I have a way to, well, show Taylor how much I love her." He pressed his head against her. "I'm supposed to hate you. You led so many to their deaths. You brought so many who didn't deserve it to this damned existence."

"Someone had to do it," she said. "Without them, how could humanity survive when its writers of fate where in constant turmoil? How could the small band of Soul Angels keep the race alive? We needed more of us. Peter chose the ones he knew would bring us to peace." She held him closer. A tear escaped her as her voice grew hoarse. "I didn't want to do it, Michael. Any Soul Angel you see today, aside from Surno and I, didn't deserve it. They should have lived a full life. I didn't want to do it." Lily held him closer.

Michael glanced down at the rose still in his hand. He broke away from Lily gently, then held her hand. "If it means anything, I want you to know that you didn't deserve your death either. I don't care what you did in your life; I just know that you didn't deserve it." He placed the rose in her hand.

Lily grasped it carefully. She leaned forward and planted a kiss on Michael's forehead. "Thank you," she breathed.

Michael blushed. "Did killing Daniel make me more attractive, or something? Every girl has been smooching and fondling me," he complained. "Not that I, uhm, dislike it or anything." He laughed. "Are you going back to the City?"

Lily laughed with him. "I think I'll go find the other Soul Angels who died in the battle. Say, where is Peter?" Michael coughed. His gaze dropped to the ground.

"Somewhere. I hope you don't mind Lily, but I want to see if the girl magnet I got from killing Daniel works on others." He chuckled weakly. Lily nodded understandingly, then winked at him.

"Say hi to Taylor for me," she ordered as she kissed him on the forehead again. Michael grumbled, wiping his forehead. He jumped into the sky and shot off into the distance with his wings flapping. A lonely Soul Angel watched him disappear into the horizon with a smile on her face.

---

He smashed his head against the wall. He brought it back with black blood dripping from the wound, then proceeded to ram his fists into the barrier. His hands did nothing to the wall, though they were dripping with his blood as he drew them away. He fell onto the cold ground as he lost his balance - his left eye twitched.

"H-how could they?" his words rang hollow in his small room. "Th-they were friends t-too! They k-killed Leon and Thomas and Bart and... yeah..."

The Soul Angel stood up and yelled at the top of his lungs. "You murdered your friends! You hurt them!" His voice echoed in the chamber. "Come out you bastards, face your friends and realize what you've done!" He fell on his bottom again. The Soul Angel scrambled on the ground, crawling to the nearest corner and cowering over himself.

"Aaron and Tristan and Logan did it," he mumbled. "So did Ezekiel. They hurt their friends." He lifted his head and blinked profusely. A realization had dawned within him. He saw the blood running down his hand and glanced at the wall briefly.

He leaped to it and dipped a finger in his blood, then wrote a letter on the wall. He smiled and laughed to himself. "I know why they did it. They are trying to send m-me a message, right? Yes! I kn-knew it! So that's B for Bart, A for Aaron, T for Thomas and..." He wrote the word BATTLE on the wall. Before the word he kept the extra 'L'. He stepped back for a moment and thought over the recent events.

"I'll f-find out why they did it. I'll do it! I can do it. Can I do it? Yes!" Ryan slammed his hand into the wall and brought forth more blood. He dipped a finger into the small puddle in his palm and wrote on the wall, mumbling to himself all the while with his broken mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment