Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chapter 3: Rejuvenated (Pt.2)


Taylor buried her face in Michael's luscious wings, memorizing the amazing pleasure she felt knowing he was okay. There really was no other reason for her to feel this way - in reality, she was just glad that someone was there to take a shot for her. I'm safe now, she thought to herself. I'm safe with him around. But why did I feel so empty without him?

Michael fidgeted in her grasp. She looked at his face. Michael wore an expression of fear mingled with exhaustion. He was sweating profusely. "If there is a God, then he would have let me die. Instead, I have to face this hell on earth," he mumbled to himself. Taylor's eyes widened with horror.

"Don't say that!" she whined. Taylor bent down and kissed him on the cheek, realizing that her protection was breaking. She held the gesture longer than she meant to, drawing back after about thirty seconds. I... I have to make him strong again. Even if it means pretending to like him. But why couldn't I pull myself away from him? She sighed as the thoughts fogged her mind. "Michael," she whispered into his ear.

He faced her, the expression of fear changed into a mild shock from the kiss. "Y-yes?" he asked weakly.

"I love you," she said. Taylor held back the urge to throw up and choked back tears. She looked away from him. It hurts to lie, she thought to herself. "Save me," Taylor whispered.

Michael closed his eyes. He breathed deeply. "I heard the lie in your voice, Tay. I'll save you nonetheless." Michael stood up and flexed his wings.

Taylor buried her face in her hands, mumbling her apologies. "I'm so so sorry, Michael. I just wanted someone to protect me so much, I'm so sorry, I'm so, so so, sorry," she kept babbling.

Michael walked out of the Compass building without another word. The grandfather clock rang loudly once more. Taylor's self control fell away, and a tear rolled down her cheek.

---

Michael caught sight of Lily. A Marker was just about to cut three elongated claws across her throat. He burst out into a mad dash and tackled the Marker, rolling into a bloody brawl out on the street. Lily recovered slightly, holding a bleeding wound at her side. "Michael?" she said weakly. "Is that really you?" There was both belief and disbelief riddled in her voice.

Michael held the Marker by his throat, harnessing his energy to seize his enemy from melting away. Lily took the opportunity to help - she summoned from her own energy a tendril sharp as a blade and cut the Marker up to pieces. The creature moaned in agony as its remains evaporated into the sky above. Lily limped over to Michael. "Michael?" she said, concern in her tone. Lily reached out a tentative hand to him.

Michael turned away, then shot off into the sky. Silent and sullen, he picked out his next target. A Marker stood over a little girl holding a small object in her tiny arms. He dropped down like a boulder, ripping away the Marker before it could hurt the human. The small child fled to safety while Michael ripped the Marker to shreds using his power.

Rage was building up inside of him. The invisible energy shared amongst all angels seemed to be endless within his being. Even more purple beings were born from the sky, descending to the area where Michael stood. He was in the middle of a street beside a warehouse, bustling with humans. They watched in both shock and awe as more of the hostile creatures swarmed Michael. The angel hung his head laughing maniacally.

"I heard the lie in your voice," he said heavily. A few Markers lunged at him - he reacted to each one by tearing them to pieces. He moved groggily, drunk with power and passion. His movements were unsteady and very unlike him. Michael held a deathly look in his eyes as he staggered towards another Marker. "I heard the lie in your voice," he repeated. Again, he tore another Marker up.

Some of the Markers fled back up into the sky. Michael laughed as he saw a Marker fall on itself trying to escape him. "I heard the lie in your voice. You're all sinners," he added as he caught a Marker by the leg before proceeding to destroy it. "You deserve to die. I heard the lie in your voice." In truth, he was not talking about Taylor. He could never be so malicious against her.

The last of the Markers fled from him. Three still stayed - the deadliest of them all. One was larger than a building. A second twitched every second or so, as if its speed was not under control. The last stood with a silent air about it, glaring at Michael with yellow eyes.

"I'll save you nonetheless," Michael whispered to himself. I lied to her about that. I'm a sinner. I deserve to die. I can't save her if I can't even save myself.

Michael threw himself at the Markers, already prepared to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment