Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chapter 6: Heart & Soul (Pt.3)


Macie slowly awoke. She felt the cool touch of grass brushing against the side of her face. She sat up wearily, yawning as she did so. Her eyelids drooped as she stared around the park.

"Michael?" she called out softly. The sky had darkened. The sun was gone, and the moon hung low in the night. She pulled her wings close to her. Her eyes widened with fear and her body froze with fright. "I'm alone," she whispered to herself.

"You're never alone!" Missy said reassuringly to her. "Where'd that cutie go off to? It's not nice to leave a woman when she's still asleep."

Macie buried her face into her hands. "I... I don't know what to do," she stammered. "Wh-where's Michael? Why did he leave me here? And why is every Marker I meet so - perverted?" Macie sobbed softly. She stared around at the empty park.

The wind had picked up. Trash was flung up by each little breeze that blew. She could see minuscule figures rushing in the grass or in the branches of trees. Her crying stopped as the calm environment influenced her mood. Out of the dark, a black cat came slinking gracefully toward her.

It stared with piercing yellow eyes with black slits in the middle. The cat crouched down before her. Macie returned the same unnerving stare. The cat relaxed and snuck away again, stopping only once to turn back and look at her. Macie heard thunder strike in the distance. She raised her head to the sound. Rain began to pour down. It was a slight drizzle that evolved into a heavy downpour.

Macie buried her face in her hands again.



"Damnit!" he cried aloud. His voice echoed through the quiet city. "Damn.... Damn!"

Michael fell to his knees. He held a hand to his chest and breathed heavily. His eyes were puffy and red from extensive crying. The tears had dried. He lifted his head to the sky, holding his hand out to the rain. "Why?" he said with a wince. "Why did you curse me, Lord?"

"Since when were you a Catholic? You died and didn't go to that nice place - hell, right? Aha-haha!" Mickey's sounded even more obnoxious now.

Michael grew angry. His forehead creased and his eyebrows furrowed. "Does kicking me while I'm down give you a laugh? Am I nothing but entertainment for you? Does my pain provide you with humor?"

"Cry more, emo-kid. I just like to hurt people! Aha-haha!"

Michael shut his eyes. "Lord, why has this happened to me? Am I not an angel because of your omnipotent power, because of your plan for me? If there is an answer - am I allowed to have it?" Thunder boomed loudly in the distance.

"An angel? You think you're an angel?" Mickey snickered. "You're nothing but a self-loathing bastard built up on a fallacy of lies. You think you're doing the right thing by 'saving humans?' Aha-haha! I guess Eight knew what he was talkin' 'bout. You are freakin' blind!"

Michael stood up weakly. He balled his hands into fists. In a fit of rage he ripped the left sleeve of his rolled up sweater. He tore free a large strip that ranged to about thirteen inches. Michael wrapped it around his head to cover his eyes. He tied it in the back with a strong knot, pulling until it was taut and constricting. He breathed heavily.

"There. I'm fucking blind. You and Eight were right, okay? I realize it now. I'm just a mistake. I have to fix it, though." Michael sighed. "I'm going to need your help, though. I can't do this alone."

"Oh, splendid! Do I get to blow shit up?" Mickey's tone was cynical.

"Yes. It'll be your own kind, though. I won't judge you if you are hesitant to act against your own brothers-"

"Bullshit!" Mickey laughed wickedly. "I don't give a damn about my 'brothers.' As long as there is fighting involved, I'm up for it!" He laughed even louder.

Michael joined in, but his laugh was weak and unwilling. "You're really messed up, aren't you?"

Mickey laughed. "Speak for yourself! Aha-haha!"

---

Eight ran a hand through his hair. Beside him stood two of his kin - Nine and Two. Two was sitting comfortably while Nine stood at attention. "You want us to go with you?" Nine said disbelievingly.

Two waved a hand at Eight. She smiled coyly. "Is that true, Eight? Big brother can't handle a little bunch of angels, hmm?" She giggled. Eight ran his hand through his hair again.

"Their supposed 'hero' barely lay a scratch on me. Based off of his power, we can assume that the angels we'll be fighting won't even put up a struggle. The only reason I'm asking you to join me is, well, to have a little fun." Eight chuckled lightly. "It will be fun wiping out the strongest group of angels in the entire world. The other pests will be a cakewalk."

Nine raised a hand to interject. "Sir, isn't it a bit risky to jump the gun on this one? You've cut down our attack force for this round, and we really don't know the full extent of their strength. Considering there were only a small band of Soul Angels and this hero during the first wave, we really shouldn't rush in with such cocky attitudes." Eight shot him a dirty look. Nine lowered his hand and looked at the ground. "Sorry."

Eight ran a hand through his hair again. "Really, Nine? As the youngest - and the weakest - of Lord Daniel's generals, you shouldn't be going against my plans. Even though I am 'Eight,' I am the strongest of the nine of us. I could crush you with a flip of the wrist if I wanted to." Eight towered over Nine.


Two giggled. "Save the fighting for the angels, you guys. Let's see how many wings each one of us can rip off. Hey, let's have a contest! Does that sound good?" She jumped to her feet with quick bounce. Her bosom shook slightly with the motion - Eight turned away to avoid looking, and Nine tried to focus on an empty space on the wall behind Eight. Two giggled. "Shy?"

Eight shook his head. Nine scratched his head dumbly. "Shouldn't we be, uh, err... preparing?" Nine said nervously. He ogled Two with a brief glance then stared down at the ground. "This is highly unproductive."

"For once, I agree with you, Nine," Eight said. "Two, please get the attack force ready. Nine and I shall alert Lord Daniel of our moves."

Two pouted. "You guys totally have the hots for each other. Whatever! I'll just go tease some other guys." She strolled out of the meeting room. Nine and Eight both sighed in unison.

"She's such a tease. Why, of all people, did you ask Two to accompany us?" Nine scratched at his head again. Eight ran a hand through his hair and shrugged.

"The power of seduction is not a thing to underestimate, Nine. I'm sure her tactics would prove more useful than those illusions you cast around. You screw with minds, she screws with-"

"Alright, alright - I get it, I understand! Jeez." Nine groaned. "I'll go and tell Lord Daniel we'll be leaving in two hours. I'm sure you have better stuff to do anyway, brother." Nine waved him goodbye as he walked out the same way Two did.

Eight crossed his arms. "Don't disappoint me, Michael. I'm sure that Marker of yours will provide me with some fun. I'm looking forward to a good fight." Eight chuckled to himself in the lonely meeting room.

No comments:

Post a Comment